Talking About Race: A Workbook

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Help

There is a lot of buzz going around about the book and film "The Help".

I had already decided not to watch the movie and I have not read the book.

My sister, Catherine, had sent me two blogs that had an excellent assesement of both. One is by Jennifer Williams of MS. and the other by Akiba Solomon in Colorlines. I have added the links and decided to re-read Toni Morrison's "Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination" instead of seeing the film.

A few days ago, I looked up a website to a book about money that I was interested in. Then I noticed that in the ads, there was not one person of color! The money book had included diversity and came out in '93, so I was really taken aback by this. I wrote them and told them so. To their credit, witin 2 days, they sent me an apology and posted new ads that included more diversity. I was impressed and told them so.

That is it for today, I hope you have a good one ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment